Works may be reproduced in the public domain without restriction. Works created before 1923 or published without a copyright notice from 1923 - 1977 are in the public domain.
Classroom Photocopy Policies:
- Do not distribute the same photocopied material from semester to semester without obtaining permission.
- Do not make copies to create, replace, or substitute for anthologies, compilations, or collective works without obtaining permission.
- Do not charge students for more than the actual cost of the photocopies.
- Distribute only one copy per student.
- Include a copyright notice on the first page.
- Only replace purchased copies of sheet music for an imminent performance, provided purchased replacement copies shall be substituted in due course.
- Follow the guidelines for brevity - copies should not constitute a substantial portion of the total work.
- Follow the guidelines for cumulative effect - copies should not have a detrimental effect on the market.
- Follow the guidelines for spontaneity - lack adequate time between the decision to use a work and the time needed to gain permission for its scheduled use. Re-using material cannot be considered spontaneous.