WHY does it exist?
- A note that comments on source.
- Why do this at all?
- To show you've read it, understand it, analyzed it, and applied it--whether to summarize, evaluate its use, or review it.
- Why can't you just write a summary?
- We already have those--they're called abstracts. They don't ask you to engage with the text for analysis, evaluation, and application.
WHAT is it exactly?
Three parts (thanks, Owl at Purdue):
- Summarize: What was it about, and what were the conclusions?
- Assess: Evaluate the source based on criteria.
- Reflect: How will this be incorporated into your own research