Prior to class:
- Review the chart "Scholarly vs. Popular Articles" (see right) and come up with a list of 3 publications not already listed in the chart that would fit under each category →→→
- Watch the video "Types of Scholarly Articles" (length: 3:35)
- Read "Web Literacy for Student Fact Checkers" by Michael A. Caulfield, the following sections:
I. Four Moves and a Habit, parts 2-3
II. Look for Previous Work, parts 4-6
III. Go Upstream, parts 7-8 and 10-14
IV. Read Laterally, parts 16-18 and 20-28
V. Field Guide, parts 31-32, 36, 39, 42, and 43
Then answer the following questions:
- In your own words, what is "sponsored content"?
- In your own words, what is the difference between "news gathering" and "news analysis"?